Fri, May 19|
3448 Evans St
2023 Malcolm X Birthday Celebration
Three days of Cultural Education and Celebration - Luncheon Panel, Community Awards, Play Performance Reading & Re-entry panel.
Time & Location
May 19, 11:00 AM – May 21, 5:00 PM
3448 Evans St, 3448 Evans St, Omaha, NE 68111, USA
About the event
Annual birthday celebration of Malcolm X is the weekend of May 19-May 21, 2023!
This year experience 3 major events including a luncheon and community awards, a cultural one-time performance reading of "The Meeting" (by Jeff Stetson) plus an added panel discussion on re-entry efforts across the state and midwest region. Tickets and RSVP details found here:
Further details below:
FRIDAY, MAY 19th - 11am-1pm | Luncheon & Community Awards
This year's theme is “Celebrating the Champions of Tomorrow” which reminds visitors to recognize the collective social justice efforts of North Omaha’s past while honoring the impact of our future work together. This year we recognize these efforts through a luncheon featuring local historians who will take us back to the era of the late 1960s in recognizing the impact that the death of Vivian Strong had on our community; and additionally offer a charge to the community to seek out new ways to engage in social justice efforts in 2023.
- Dr. Franklin Thompson, Professor and Chair of Vivian Strong Historic Designation Committee
- Sherman Wells, Relative of Vivian Strong - Community Activist
Community Awards (Names of awardees to be shared later):
- Innovator Award: The Malcolm X Innovator Award acknowledges individuals who have made great strides to enhance community connectedness and engagement in innovative ways through Inventing, Entrepreneurship and/or Grassroots Organizing.
- Equity Award: The Malcolm X Equity Award acknowledges a change agent and/or community organization representative who is essential in the fight for social justice either at a national or regional/local level.
- Shabazz Courage Award: The Shabazz Courage Award acknowledges an individual who has been key in encouraging both social and academic change /progress and shown exemplary courage to ignite change in their community.
- Rowena Moore Award: The Rowena Moore Award acknowledges an individual or group who has pioneered social improvement and activism for the melanated community and the community at large.
- Transformation Change Agent Award: The Transformation Change Agent Award acknowledges a citizen returning from incarceration who has transformed their own life and/or reached back into the community and behind the walls to help others make positive life transformations. This award may also be given to individuals who have not been incarcerated but have made extremely significant contributions to serving this population in our community.*******
SATURDAY, MAY 20th - 6-8pm | One-Time Performance of "The Meeting"
A one-time script reading of the play "The Meeting" by Jeff Stetson which takes the audience through a dialogue with Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X. Admission is free, but RSVPs encouraged to provide light appetizers and accomodation seating (limited to 100).
Cast: Shomari Huggins --- Allen Stevenson --- Marquis Jefferson
Directed by: Denise Chapman ---
SUNDAY, MAY 21st - 2-4pm | Bring Em' Home Reentry Panel
“Bring Em’ Home” - A Second Look at Justice and Reentry Efforts feat. relevant voices on issues around supporting returning citizens and prison reform activism.
- Sterling McKoy, Founder - In the Trenches Paralegal Services - Returning Citizen served 17 years in Federal Prison
- Precious Jackson, Founder - Tillage Village - Returning Citizen served time in Federal Prison
Also enjoy cultural performances and exhibits plus educational tours throughout the weekend. Light appetizers served at both the play reading and re-entry panel. For accessibility accomodations please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*To support this annual program, please request a sponsorship package by emailing us via email@example.com - Note: All sustaining donors will get a complimentary two tickets to luncheon; Must still rsvp no later than May 8th.
Birthday Luncheon & Awards
From $20.00 to $25.00
One general admission for Luncheon & Community Awards
From $20.00 to $25.00
Sale endedPrice optionPriceQuantityTotal
Adult - Luncheon